Restoration project internship
Palm Springs Costa Rica plans preserve,
restore and reforest areas within our
community, as well as encourage home-
owners to landscape using native plants that are adapted for the local climate, optimum for ecological restoration, and happen to be some of the most beautiful ornamental plants in the world.
Currently our team is seeking interns to help design our restoration plan.
Restoration Volunteer Internship Opportunity
Location: Playa Esterillos, Costa Rica
Seeking student interns to join a team of eco-conscious developers to study the existing site and help create a restoration/reforestation plan. The site is formerly a cattle ranch in Playa Esterillos, just south of Jaco Beach.
Students must have knowledge of local ecology, native flora, fauna, invasive species and habitat restoration practices. Must work with an academic advisor or mentor in relevant field to review recommendations and plan. Prefer majors in biology, ecology, environmental science or related fields or equivalent naturalist knowledge.
• Catalog existing flora and fauna on the site. (native, non-native and invasive species)
• Document weather and animal sightings, tracks & sign.
• Visit local national parks and gather information healthy eco-systems and native flora and fauna.
• Design a restoration plan to include:
- Map of restoration site
- List of native and invasive species found currently
- List of recommended species for reforestation and native plants for restoration
- Methodology on native plant choices including a canopy diagram and description
- of ecological benefits
- Recommendations for sourcing of trees and plants for planting
- Work with academic advisor or mentor to review recommendations and plan
Students seeking this internship should be self-directed and physically capable of walking steep mountain terrain in all weather conditions. Students will report directly to the project developer on a weekly basis and attend any relevant project meetings. Project developer will help provide direction and facilitate the earning of 4 credit hours in exchange for 20 hours of work per week. Internship is not paid.